Creamy, crunchy, crispy, salty, sour, sweet and so nutty you could kill someone with an allergy just by wafting it under their noses. This Asian salad with mini pork meatballs ticks all the boxes and gives us all the feels! The magic lies in the dressing, so use whatever fresh salad ingredients you like. Try grilled prawns or chicken if you can’t be bothered whipping up the meatballs. These little pork bites really are worth the small effort though, so if, unlike us, you currently find yourself in a country where plonk doesn’t go for R160 a bottle, pour yourself a glass and get your hands dirty! Or go meat free and save the planet one bite at a time. ~Liezl
Very nutty Asian salad with mini pork meatballs.
For the salad:
- 6 cups of green or red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup sliced spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup cooked edamame beans
- 190 ml roasted peanuts
- fresh chilies, optional
- 1 packet instant noodles, raw
- oil for deep frying
For the dressing:
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- 90 ml white vinegar
- 90 ml sesame oil (essential!)
- 90 ml sugar
- 5 ml salt
- 30 ml good quality mayonnaise
- 75 ml peanut butter
- 20 ml soya sauce
For the meatballs:
- 300 g pork mince
- 1 slice bread soaked in 60ml milk, optional
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 30 ml soy sauce
- 30 ml sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 ml salt
- a dash of white pepper
- 60 ml plain flour
- 20 ml cooking oil, for frying
For the salad
- Heat the oil and deep fry the noodle cakes till golden. They go really quickly, so don't start a game of Candy Crush or something! You may be tempted to leave this out, because, well, instant noodles. But frying them imparts a delicious nutty crunch and flavour that goes beautifully with the salad!
For the dressing
- Combine all the ingredients and blend.
For the meatballs.
Smush the bread till it forms a paste. This part is not essential, but it does help make the meatballs more moist and it will stretch your budget a bit in the lean times.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined. The mixture will be quite sloppy.
- Sprinkle the flour on to a plate. Scoop an amount about the size of a jaw breaker on to the flour. Toss it around till coated and then roll into a ball.
- Fry all the meatballs in a little oil till golden brown and cooked through.
- To assemble, toss the salad ingredients together, top with the meatballs and drizzle with the dressing. Grab a pair of chopsticks and enjoy!